Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where gamers come to talk.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Call of Duty Blackops forum added! "Shoot the Shit" forum added (anything goes)!

It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Patriotsfan21
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Patriotsfan21

It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs Empty
PostSubject: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:21 pm

I found this study pretty interesting.

LONDON (Reuters) – A giant asteroid smashing into Earth is the only plausible explanation for the extinction of the dinosaurs, a global scientific team said on Thursday, hoping to settle a row that has divided experts for decades.

A panel of 41 scientists from across the world reviewed 20 years' worth of research to try to confirm the cause of the so-called Cretaceous-Tertiary (KT)extinction, which created a "hellish environment" around 65 million years ago and wiped out more than half of all species on the planet.

Scientific opinion was split over whether the extinction was caused by an asteroid or by volcanic activity in the Deccan Traps in what is now India, where there were a series of super volcanic eruptions that lasted around 1.5 million years.

The new study, conducted by scientists from Europe, the United States, Mexico, Canada and Japan and published in the journal Science, found that a 15-kilometre (9 miles) wide asteroid slamming into Earth at Chicxulub in what is now Mexico was the culprit.

"We now have great confidence that an asteroid was the cause of the KT extinction. This triggered large-scale fires, earthquakes measuring more than 10 on the Richter scale, and continental landslides, which created tsunamis," said Joanna Morgan of Imperial College London, a co-author of the review.

The asteroid is thought to have hit Earth with a force a billion times more powerful than the atomic bomb at Hiroshima.

Morgan said the "final nail in the coffin for the dinosaurs" came when blasted material flew into the atmosphere, shrouding the planet in darkness, causing a global winter and "killing off many species that couldn't adapt to this hellish environment."

Scientists working on the study analyzed the work of paleontologists, geochemists, climate modelers, geophysicists and sedimentologists who have been collecting evidence about the KTextinction over the last 20 years.

Geological records show the event that triggered the dinosaurs' demise rapidly destroyed marine and land ecosystems, they said, and the asteroid hit "is the only plausible explanation for this."

Peter Schulte of the University of Erlangen in Germany, a lead author on the study, said fossil records clearly show a mass extinction about 65.5 million years ago -- a time now known as the K-Pg boundary.

Despite evidence of active volcanism in India, marine and land ecosystems only showed minor changes in the 500,000 years before the K-Pg boundary, suggesting theextinction did not come earlier and was not prompted by eruptions.

The Deccan volcano theory is also thrown into doubt by models of atmospheric chemistry, the team said, which show the asteroid impact would have released much larger amounts of sulphur, dust and soot in a much shorter time than the volcanic eruptions could have, causing extreme darkening and cooling.

Gareth Collins, another co-author from Imperial College, said the asteroid impact created a "hellish day" that signaled the end of the 160-million-year reign of the dinosaurs, but also turned out to be a great day for mammals.

"The KT extinction was a pivotal moment in Earth's history, which ultimately paved the way for humans to become the dominant species on Earth," he wrote in a commentary on the study.
Back to top Go down
Ik0n
Admin
Ik0n

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:25 pm

Very interesting. That's what I thought happened all along. Some people just don't understand the kind of devastation an asteroid of that size hitting earth would do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.T2Gaming.com
Patriotsfan21
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Patriotsfan21

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:38 pm

I thought the same thing. I would expect complete devastation if that ever happened .
Back to top Go down
Im 1337 lol
Warrant Officer 2
Warrant Officer 2
Im 1337 lol

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:43 pm

Just let me run this by you. If 65 million years ago the dinosaurs were wiped out then how could this happen. God asked Noah to put 2 of each animal on the ark now how could he put 2 of each animal on the ark if the dinosaurs were extinct. Also an Ostrich is a type of Dinosaur.
Back to top Go down
Ik0n
Admin
Ik0n

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:44 pm

Do you really think Noah could fit 2 of each species on an Arc? Do you know how many species there are in this world?
Back to top Go down
Im 1337 lol
Warrant Officer 2
Warrant Officer 2
Im 1337 lol

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Do you also realize that they did not have to be full grown.
Back to top Go down
Ik0n
Admin
Ik0n

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:53 pm

Even if they were not full grown, there is no possible way you are fitting millions upon millions of species x2 on this so called Arc.
Back to top Go down
Patriotsfan21
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Patriotsfan21

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:59 pm

There is no way they could fit them all in an arc. How many species are there anyway? We've only discovered like 10% of all species.

Last edited by Patriotsfan21 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Im 1337 lol
Warrant Officer 2
Warrant Officer 2
Im 1337 lol

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:59 pm

So do you also belive that there was a giant explosion and the next thing that happened we are here.
Back to top Go down
Patriotsfan21
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Patriotsfan21

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:01 pm

Probably not instantly, but gradually.
Back to top Go down
Im 1337 lol
Warrant Officer 2
Warrant Officer 2
Im 1337 lol

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:04 pm

I dont know it sounds kinda bull shitty to me. We dont even know if the earth is 65 million years old. If it was would the ocean not have to much salt to swim in.
Back to top Go down
ArmchairGeneral7
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
ArmchairGeneral7

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:07 pm

Im 1337 lol wrote:
I dont know it sounds kinda bull shitty to me. We dont even know if the earth is 65 million years old. If it was would the ocean not have to much salt to swim in.

The earth is 4.5 billion years old I think, around that anyway!
Maybe Noah built a bunker instead of an arc and shoved all the animals inside?"bunker" must have been translated totally wrong somewhere along the way!
Back to top Go down
Im 1337 lol
Warrant Officer 2
Warrant Officer 2
Im 1337 lol

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:12 pm

You will never know until you die that is the sad truth. I will rather live in a world after death. Than die and stay dead. That is just me though.
Back to top Go down
Ik0n
Admin
Ik0n

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:42 pm

I don't know. I think living forever would be a curse. I'd just rather not exist anymore just like before you were born. I'm not sure on the beginning of the universe, but I believe 100% in Evolution. There are just way too many facts staring us in the face to denounce that theory.
Back to top Go down
Im 1337 lol
Warrant Officer 2
Warrant Officer 2
Im 1337 lol

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 5:16 pm

How do you see living forever as a curse I see it as a blessing.
Back to top Go down
Patriotsfan21
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Patriotsfan21

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 5:24 pm

I wouldn't want to live forever, eventually life would just get boring, then it would be torturous to live. But that's just me.
Back to top Go down
ArmchairGeneral7
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
ArmchairGeneral7

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 5:36 pm

You can be sure as hell I am scared of dieing. I feel shitty thinking that much more important inventions and discoveries will happen after I die, more important than stuff going on now.

It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs Computer
The first computer for example

Imagine what it was like hearing about the progression of technology back then, how cool and advanced we felt building something like that!The mobile phone in your pocket is more powerful than that computer.

So.. in 100 years time, sorry to say, but when we are most likely dead, the stuff we have now will be mediocre at best! Computers are doubling in power every year, but what about after we die?So I would say I would personally like to live forever, or until l the day humanity is wiped out!

But a friend once told me, there is no point in living if you worry about the future. Which I am not sure is true or false!
Back to top Go down
Ik0n
Admin
Ik0n

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 5:50 pm

I don't know, maybe something is wrong with me but I could care less about dying. I'm not scared of being gone so much as I'm more scared of how I'm going to die. While it would be cool to see what inventions come out 100 years past my lifetime, I'm not worried about it.
Back to top Go down
Im 1337 lol
Warrant Officer 2
Warrant Officer 2
Im 1337 lol

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 6:34 pm

I see it in no way of beign boring because I see it as each day being a new life.
Back to top Go down
Patriotsfan21
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Patriotsfan21

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 4:03 am

Im 1337 lol wrote:
I see it in no way of beign boring because I see it as each day being a new life.
Ehh, if I think about it, I would just get bored after a while and I would want to die. affraid
Back to top Go down
ArmchairGeneral7
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
ArmchairGeneral7

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 8:27 am

Patriotsfan21 wrote:
Im 1337 lol wrote:
Ehh, if I think about it, I would just get bored after a while and I would want to die. affraid

That be a good point, ok so I would like to live until I feel like dieing?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs   It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs
Page 1 of 1